BDA signs contract worth RM4.4 mln
BINTULU: The people in Bintulu will have a new alternative route or shortcut to the central town once the 400-metre dual carriageway road linkage between Jalan Law Gek Soon and Jalan Sultan Iskandar is completed by the end of next year.
Bintulu Development Authority (BDA) general manager Datu Mohidin Ishak said once the road was completed it would solve the congestion problems experienced along that stretch, especially during the weekends.
“That is why I think this project has huge interest to the people in Bintulu because we will have more alternative routes to the central town and it will be easier for us to manage the traffic flow,” said Mohidin.
He said this after officiating at the contract signing of the proposed Bintulu Central Boulevard (Phase 1) costing RM4.4 million between BDA and Verde Mount Corporation Sdn Bhd at Wisma Bintulu yesterday.
The contractor was represented by its director Abu Bakar Puteh and project co-director Saiful Bahari Amra Ramly while Mohidin represented BDA.
“The contract period is to be completed within 12 months but I do hope the contractor can complete it ahead of time but of course with good quality. The site had been handed over to the contractor on October 4,” he said.
The dual carriageway is the portion of the overall two-kilometre Central Boulevard project within the Old Airport.
“It will cut through the Old Bintulu Airport site to the town and I believe the people have been waiting for this project to be implemented for so long,” he said.
In other developments, there would be a new car park for SK St Anthony.
“This project will include the car park for the school and it is something good for the school for safety reasons, considering the current car park which is located along the road,” he said, adding that the school might also have a new entrance.
According to him, there were currently two different contractors carrying out their works at the Old Bintulu airport site and this would probably cause some inconvenience to the road users.
“I advise the public to be alert, careful and patient because the contractors are just doing their job,” he said.
He also hoped for the road construction project, it would not bring too much inconvenience to the public but at the same time urged the public to give their cooperation.
Among the scope of works to be carried out by the contractor are site clearing and earthworks, constructing the 400-metre dual carriageway, drainage works, mechanical and electrical works and building the car park for SK St Anthony.
Other projects that were carried out at the old airport site were under the Ministry of Urban Development and Department of Irrigation and Drainage.
The contract worth RM9 million was signed a few months back involving the construction of the main sewage line for Bintulu’s central business district.
“All water waste will flow through this central line to the observation pond,” Mohidin said.
When asked about the main project of the two-km Bintulu Central Boulevard he said the plan had been approved and it just awaiting the Budget which was placed under the Tenth Malaysia Plan.
“We are hoping for good news from the Tenth Malaysia Plan and if it is approved, we will proceed with Phase 2 of the project,” he said.
The two-km Boulevard, once completed would be another landmark for Bintulu after the three-km Bintulu Promenade which was almost completed and these facilities would make Bintulu proper and a better city, he said.